On October 12th Maret spoke about how to travel cheap. Here are some useful tips you should pay attention to:
1. To buy plane tickets, try different websites. The most popular ones are Momondo and Skyscanner, but you can also buy a license (10€/3months) to Azuon. Quite similar to the previous one is Kiwi.com which is for free, but has less opportunities. Even when you have found a good offer, definitely check if the airline company offers cheaper tickets on their website.
2. Always check if there are any extra fees aka if you want to pay more for insurance, baggage or seating (especially when using cheaper flights).
3. BEFORE buying plane tickets, search out all the other opportunities of transportation and their prices, because plane tickets in your destination country could be much cheaper than bus/train tickets. To find transportation in different countries, try https://www.rome2rio.com/. It shows how to get from point A to point B. Although, it doesn’t pay off in terms of longer distances, it is still an excellent way to find and compare different means of land transportation. ALWAYS check where and what time buses/trains etc leave. Hoping you will somehow manage to catch a bus, for instance, you can end up in a taxi paying an expensive bill.
4. FLIXBUS is a smart way of travelling in Europe by bus. You can see where the cheap buses go from https://www.flixbus.com/bus-routes#/map. Sometimes it is more reasonable to fly to your destination and then take a bus.
5. Night buses save your money. During the bus ride, you can sleep and you don’t have to pay for accommodation.
7. Collect special offers to your e-mail. When it’s time for travelling, you will have a stack of good offers on hand. It is mostly useful with AirBaltic, LuxExpress and Ecolines.
8. Get your priorities straight! If you really want to travel, you can spare enough money for travelling by changing your everyday activities and habits. For example, you don’t have to eat out as much, you can cook your own meals.
9. If you travel more than once a year, it is useful to get a travel insurance for the whole year.
10. Last, but not least: when travelling with a hand luggage, it is useful to buy Vana Tallinn from the airport. It does not work if you are changing flights in between and want to get on the next plane with the same drink. You can alternatively buy 0,1l drinks, so with the other liquids in your baggage it would fit in 1l bag.
THE MAIN RULE OF CHEAP TRAVELLING: If you want to find the best deals and avoid unpredictable costs during your trip, spare some time for thorough groundwork!